THE FIRST PARISH IN LINCOLN (UUA/UCC)
P.O. Box 6218
Lincoln, MA 01773
The First Parish in Lincoln (FPL) is a congregation of 360 active members and 100 children and youth. We are an open and welcoming community church in association with both the Unitarian-Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ. The Rev. Manish Mishra-Marzetti is our newly settled Senior Minister who will be starting on August 15, 2015. We are seeking to hire an Interim Director of Religious Education (IDRE) who could start August 15, 2015. The position is 30 hours per week, August 15 through June 15, a 10 month interim position for the 2015-16 church year. The salary is commensurate with experience and in keeping with denominational guidelines plus benefits.
The IDRE will be responsible for the coordination and implementation of the Religious Education programming for the children and youth at FPL as well as assisting the wider FPL community discern what is needed in their next DRE.
Principal Responsibilities include:
- Provide an engaging and effective ministry to the children, teens, and families of our Religious Education (RE) program, and to the broader church community.
- Participate actively in recruiting and welcoming new families to the RE program.
- In conjunction with the Youth Programs Committee (YPC) and Senior Minister, lead the church community through a discernment process of determining the vision for the RE Program at FPL which leverages its current strengths while expanding and seizing new opportunities.
- Administer and supervise curriculum and instructional materials for Sunday School Grades K-8. Because of the theological orientation of our church, our curriculum includes both denominational and internally-developed materials that require a creative approach to develop and deliver.
- Help recruit, train and supervise both paid and volunteer teachers for pre-K through 8 and facilitators for High School programs. We currently have 2 paid teachers and will be looking to hire 2 more.
- Help develop 9th-12th grade programming.
- Lead Children’s Chapel one Sunday a month and work with the Senior Minister to develop and present a Time for All Ages message three Sundays a month.
- Coordinate and help deliver special events, such as the Rally Sunday, Advent Workshop, Christmas Eve Family Service, Christmas Pageant, Winter Workshop, Easter Activity, Mother’s Day, Celebration Sunday, Spring Arts Festival.
- Write a weekly email to the congregation and a column in The Parish News.
- Prepare and submit annual budget for youth programs in conversation with the YPC.
- Maintain regular office hours.
- The IDRE will report to the Senior Minister, and attend YPC meetings as well as other meetings determined by the Senior Minister or Parish Committee.
A strong candidate will possess the following skills/qualities:
- Teaching experience; experience in a spiritual/religious context is preferred.
- Experience leading or participating in a discernment process.
- Strong creative instincts, including an interest in youth-oriented art, literature or music.
- Administrative and management skills: an ability to work independently and to delegate.
- Excellent “people” skills which include the ability to understand and communicate with both children and adults using the best methods for the type of communication (phone, email, letter, social media); a community organizer.
- Open-mindedness and flexibility to work in the FPL environment which combines aspects of UCC and UUA traditions.
- Working knowledge and fluency with current technology-based communications channels.
- Ability to collaborate with the Senior Minister, YPC and Parish Administrator.
To apply, please send a cover letter stating why you are interested in this position and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. For phone inquiries please contact Becca Fasciano at 978.387.5055.